Saturday, March 13, 2010

A turtle and a tutorial

I am sure it seems that I've disappeared into thin air, but don't worry I'm still alive. My line at home was down, so I couldn't do any blogging, but I'm back and I even have a little tutorial to share.

I have been asked by a few people to please explain how to partly cut out an image with your nestabilities. This is by no means the only way of doing this, but it's the way I do it in order to save time.

As you can see from the image below Turtle Tots cowboy has a little hat on and it sits outside of the nestie cut out line. How I do this is what I am going to explain to you today.

1. colour your image like you normally would, then select the nestabilities shape you want to use, I chose the circle.

2. lay the nestie down where you want the image to extend beyond it and draw a line with a pencil outside the nestie (*tip 1: remember that the nestie cuts below that line so you don't want to make it too high or you will get very little of the image outside of the nestie; *tip 2: don't make the pencil line too dark cause you need to erase it again)

3. remove the nestie and use your craft knife or scissors, whichever works best for you, to cut the portion of the image out that is above your pencil line

4. once you have completed step 3 erase your pencil line and take your same nestie, place a part of it behind the portion of your image that will extend beyond the nestie cut out line making sure the nestie is in place where you want the image to be cut out (*tip 3: if you place the nestie in front of the image you will cut it off, so please don't do that, lol)

5. here I have lifted my image just so you can get a better idea

6. and Here I have taken a picture from the back

7. once you are happy you have placed the nestie correctly, run the image through your cutting machine, mine is the cuttlebug

8. here is the image once it's been cut out with the nestie, see how the hat is still in front of the nestie and hasn't been cut off, but the rest of the paper has been cut away

9. before removing the image from my nestie I quickly sponged a bit of ink around the edges

10. here is the image sponged, and cut out ready to be removed from the nestie (* tips 4: if you are going to add glitter or glaze or any shiny bits do it now and not before running the image through the cutting machine)

11. here is the image removed from the nestie, sponged and ready to be used on a card

I mounted my image on double sided foam and then layered it on another nestie circle mat. I added some baubles, brads, and a bit of ribbon. Quick simple and easy. Now go and try it and please drop me a comment if you do so I can come and see your gorgeous designs. Oh, I nearly forgot, you can of course always double stamp your image, colour one complete one and on the other only the hat, cut it out with a craft knife or scissors and place it on your complete image. The complete image needs to be cut out with the nestie but you need to cut through the image where you want it to extend.

If you have further questions please let me know, I will answer as soon as I get a free moment.
Happy crafting.
Meahni

23 comments:

Sharon said...

A gorgeous card and a wonderful tutorial Meahni. I found is so interesting as I don't have nesties - must get some. So pleased you have power again. hugs Sharon

Cariena said...

i thought the JHB aliens kidnapped you!!! glad to see you are still CARDING!! i LOVE this card. thanks for the tip - and Meahni, your cards are really GREAT!! it is because of you that i colour, really

Moz said...

Fantastic tutorial - thanks so much! I have often wondered how they do it without adding the top layer. Your colouring is fantastic and I look forward to your postings!
Hugz

chris said...

your tutorial is fabulous end extremely clear,
love you card,
pleased to see your back, love your blog
hugs chris xx

Karen Motz said...

Wow, this is so cool! Thanks for sharing the tutorial...I never thought of doing that!

Judi said...

Hey, Meahni

Love the card, and the tutorial is GREAT!! As you said, there are other ways of doing this, but this is the most SIMPLE and STRAIGHT FORWARD way that I've heard of. I'll definitely be using this method in future.

Meanwhile, hope all is well with you?

Hugs Judi (in the U.K.) xxxx

Louise said...

This is a great tutorial Meahni - what a great idea!!! Thanks for sharing! Love the card too!

paula said...

Love the card Meahni...I was wondering how you did that, what awesome pictures! Love the Turtle Tots so much, VERY cute!!! As always, your coloring is gorjuss!!!!!

LindaH said...

excellent tutorial!!!! i've missed your posts.

Crafty Cath said...

Thank you so very much!!!! I have always wondered how this was done. I've tried some hand cutting but was always frustrated that it didn't look crisp. This is a great tool and I appreciate you taking the time to show us!!!

Silvia said...

Awesome tutorial Meahni! Your card is beautiful too!!

The Spotted Chick said...

Absolutely PERFECT tutorial!! This card is SO STINKIN' CUTE too!! Love the lil' turtle with his cowboy hat. Hmmmm, I don't have him. Gotta fix that, now that I've seen him like this! Love him!!

Julie said...

Thanks for that,had a go but forgot to get back to you,you can check out my posting on the 15th March where I used this technique,so glad you answered my request x http://julie-rainbowdays.blogspot.com/2010/03/challenge-31-judys-sketch.html

Jocelyn aka JoBear2 said...

Oh, I am SO GLAD you posted this tutorial. I have been wondering how to do this and was trying to figure it out only yesterday but couldn't get my head around it. NOW it all makes sense.
And such a cute card too.

Mandy said...

Fab tutorial hunny, much easier than how I do it!
Thansk for sharing
hugs Mandy xx

Julie said...

I've added a link on my blog so that other crafters can benefit from your brilliant Tutorial. Thanks for sharing,Julie x

Angela Thomas said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I'd been trying to figure out how to do this and just couldn't figure it out.

Val said...

Brilliant! Your tutorial was perfect. The card is super cute too.

Janine said...

Got this link from Paula!! Love this idea!! A definite do for me!! thanks for the lesson!

Anonymous said...

Came to you by Paula's blog. Your tutorial is just perfect. Thank you so much for sharing! Love what you do!
LouLou

Christy/Tiddly Inks Digitals said...

What a fantastic tutorial Meahni!!! I didn't know how people did that...Thanks for sharing. :)

Julie said...

I've been at it again,sending crafty people your way! Hope you've had a great weekend happy days,Julie x

Nancy in Iowa said...

This is a very informative and thorough tutorial. Thank you so very, very much!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails